Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The natural hair journey

This blog will only interest females Im sure   :)
Anyways, I started my natural hair journey about 2 years ago. It was July 2010. I had just gotten a fresh relaxer. Here's a pic of that day. If you notice it was very thin especially at the top. And breakage was a serious issue back when I used to get relaxers. I had split ends and my hair just wasnt thriving.



This was the day I decided no more relaxers ever. I had no clue what the natural journey would be like. But I knew for sure all the breakage and not growing had to stop.

This is my hair one year later July 2011. You can see it has thickened out nicely and added a nice amout of length. 

Women ask me what is my hair regimen.I go to the salon every 2 weeks and get a wash and condition with sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, than she blow dries it out and flat irons it with a chi.  I get whats called a keratin treatment about once every 3-4 months. A keratin treatment is all natural and its like a protein that coats the hair and prevents it from getting frizzy and sweating out in humidity. It also makes your hair much more manageable when it needs to be blow dried. And when you flat iron the hair its silky smooth, swingy and bouncy. I dont put any products on my hair in between salon visits.

Here are pics of my hair currently. This is thursday of last week after getting it blown out and flat ironed. Its kind of barrel curled. But this is how it shines naturally, no oil sheen or products are applied when she blows it out and flat irons.

And this is today May 8th :)
You can see it has grown SOOOOO much since 2 years back when I was relaxing it.

 In 2 more months I will be 2 years relaxer free. When my hair is wet I have alot of shrinkage and it curls up really tight. It goes from my shoulders to my cheekbones. I have maybe 2 inches of relaxed ends left. I chose to let the relaxer grow out on its own as opposed to doing the big chop and looking like a fucking chia pet. It aint for everybody =/

My hair is healthy and long and Im finally at a point where Im happy with it. I dont have the desire to add any extensions or braids. And with the progress of going natural there isnt even a need to have any extensions.  I'll keep updating my hair blogs and one day just MAYBE I'll post a pic of my hair when its wet.LOL

Until than


LOVE





No comments:

Post a Comment